top of page
History of Gamma
On March 7, 1914 Gamma Chapter was established at The University of Iowa, in Iowa City. It was originally named Delta Chapter. The name was later changed to Gamma Chapter, when the alumni chapters were named for the cities in which they were located.
Diggs and Cain from Alpha Chapter, and Prince fronm Beta Chapter represented the Grand Chapter in establishing Gamma Chapter. There were 14 original members of Gamma Chapter. When Gamma was founded the fraternity was still known as Kappa Alpha Nu.
Gamma Chapter was the first African American organization (fraternity or sorority) of any kind west of the Mississippi River.
bottom of page